Agric Keypoints: Meaning And Scope Of Agriculture; These Agriculture keypoints cover topics suitable for students sitting for the following examinations. WAEC, JAMB, NECO, IJMB, GCE, NABTEB
Study other keypoints here
Define Agricultural Science
The study of how to cultivate and rear plants and animals for food, energy, and other things is known as agricultural science. It entails applying scientific theories and methods to enhance the raising, harvesting, and management of plants, animals, and the land on which they are raised. Agricultural scientists strive to create fresh and improved approaches to farming, raising animals, and sustainable resource usage.
What Are Branches Of Agricultural Sciences?
There are several branches of agricultural science, including:
- Agronomy: the study of how to grow crops, including how to select and plant seeds, manage soil health, and control pests and diseases.
- Animal science: the study of how to raise and care for animals, including how to feed and breed livestock, as well as how to manage their health and welfare.
- Horticulture: the study of how to grow fruits, vegetables, and ornamental plants, including how to care for them and harvest them at the right time.
- Agricultural economics: the study of how to manage the financial and business aspects of agriculture, including how to make decisions about what crops or animals to raise and how to market and sell them.
- Agricultural engineering: the application of engineering principles to the design and construction of equipment and facilities used in agriculture, such as irrigation systems, greenhouses, and barns.
- Soil science: the study of the properties and management of soil, including how to maintain healthy soil and how to use it to grow crops.
Types Of Agriculture
There are several types of agriculture, including:
- Subsistence agriculture: a type of agriculture in which farmers grow enough food to feed their own families and have little or no surplus to sell.
- Commercial agriculture: a type of agriculture in which farmers grow crops or raise animals to sell for profit.
- Industrial agriculture: a type of agriculture that uses large-scale production methods, including mechanization, chemical fertilizers and pesticides, and genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
- Organic agriculture: a type of agriculture that uses natural methods to grow and raise crops and animals, without the use of synthetic chemicals or genetically modified organisms.
- Agroforestry: a type of agriculture that combines the cultivation of crops and trees in the same space.
- Urban agriculture: the growing of plants and raising of animals within a city or urban area, often in small spaces such as backyards or rooftops.