Biology Key Points; Science And Living Things; Science is the study of natural things around us. Biology is a branch of science that involves the study of living organisms
SCIENTIFIC WAYS OF WORKING AND THINKING
2. Classify problems
3. Hypothesis – what would happen if?, What makes this happen?
4. Experimenting – design, conduct, results/analysis
CHARACTERISTICS OF LIVING THINGS
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN PLANTS AND ANIMALS
- Plants: Limited movement due to lack of locomotory organs
- Animals: Moves freely, locomotory organs present
- Plants: lack of sense organs
- Animals’ presence of well-developed sensory organs
- Plants: Apical growth
- Animals: Equal growth on all parts
- Plants: Autotrophic nutrition
- Animals: Heterotrophic nutrition
Autotrophic nutrition: the process whereby organisms manufacture their own food through water, CO2 and Sunlight. It can also be called holophytic nutrition. The energy needed to achieve this could either be photosynthetic or chemosynthetic.
Photosynthesis: green plants manufacture their food through sunlight.
Chemosynthesis: organisms manufacture their food through inorganic molecules
Heterotrophic nutrition: the process whereby organisms cannot manufacture their own food, so they depend on other organisms to feed. Heterotrophic nutrition can either be Saprophytic, Parasitic or Holozoic.
Saprophytic: feeds on dead and decaying matter
Parasitic: feeds on the host without killing it.
Holozoic: feeds on a complex matter, digests and absorbs the nutrients. E.g Human beings
Thanks for reading Biology Key Points; Science And Living Things
Kindly support us, by using the Student Village forum for all educational conversations. Click here