Q:

10 Nigerian Slangs and their meanings.

Every country has its own customs, as well as slang words that are used widely. There are unusual slang terms for optional schools, college life, and even Nigerian localities.

These slang terms may be difficult for outsiders to comprehend and difficult for locals to explain. Here Are 10 Slangs Unique To Nigerians.

1. Jara: Jara is a term derived from the Yoruba language and denotes the intention to provide an additional item or a gift following a recent purchase or payment while the merchant is watching. Say, “Abeg Add Jara,” for instance.

1. Ajebutter: The terms “Ajebo,” “Bota,” or “Botti” essentially refer to someone who is born with a silver spoon. It may well be roughly intended to mean “Bourgeoisie.” “That Shekinah Is An Ajebutter, she uses a spoon to eat amala.” 

1. Abi/ shey/ba:  Abi, Shey, or Ba are slangs that function as something like accentuation. They are mostly used for affirmation following an articulation, so converting it into an inquiry. They Remind You Of English “Right” You Are Coming For My party, Abi/Shey/Ba?

1. Ma Fo: This is one of singer Naira Marley’s catchphrases that has endured and is still widely used today just as it was the first time it was uttered. This Yoruba phrase literally means “Don’t break,” but when used in conversation, it indicates “don’t be intimidated or worried.”

It can be shortened to “Ma Fo” and used to form a street line, “Omo Iya mi, ma fo, mo wa pelu e,” which means  “My brother/sister, don’t be troubled, I am here with you.”

1. Who dey Breeett?: Who dey Breeett? is another Davido-created term that in Pidgin English simply means “who is breathing?” As straightforward as that may sound, it actually raises the question of why someone would be freely inhaling air after seeing what has been demonstrated. When you view a gorgeous photo, for example, you are expected to “choke” on air, which is why the question “who dey breeett?” is asked. This is somewhat similar to another of the artist’s slang, “E choke.”

1. Osha pra pra: Osha pra pra, which can be loosely translated as “you are awesome!” is a greeting used while appreciating someone. It is typically used in public to greet or hail a buddy who is walking by.                                        
  2. E choke: The well-known Nigerian singer David “Davido” Adeleke invented the street slang phrase “e choke,” which is now in use worldwide. Literally, “E Choke” means “It Chokes,” but in street slang, it denotes anything overwhelming or incredibly amazing with an exclamation point. Although it could be a little overstated, this slang is a means for Nigerians to express their shock when they see something or someone that exceeds their expectations.

1. E Restrict my Airflow: This slang, which has the same message as “E Choke,” was started by Wizkid, a different artiste. The terms “choking” and “limited airflow” are used interchangeably in Nigerian slang and have the same literal meaning and impact. As a retort to “E choke,” “E restrict my airflow” has also been employed. “E clog my airspace” is another example of the same slang.

1. Tule: Davido uses a variety of slang, including “tule.” The famous performer could be heard saying “Tule Joor, Tule Jare” in a video he recorded in response to the news of his falling out with Burna Boy, another performer, in Ghana. A Yoruba term with the meaning “free me, release me, or leave me” is “tule.”The phrase became well known when many Nigerians began chanting “Tule” on social media in exchange for the N2 million Davido offered to anyone who could copy his original video. In street slang, the word “tule” is used to request that a conversation end or that someone leaves you alone.

10. KPK/ OPP:  When Nigerians use the abbreviation KPK, they actually mean “Ko Po Ke?” That literally means, “Is it not enough?” This is a reference to a song by Mohbad-featuring artist Chisom Ezeh, also known as Rexxie. Rexxie asked, “Ta lo sope ko po ke?,” or “Who says it is not plenty,” in the song’s first lyric.

When using this phrase in phrases, the subject of the sentence determines what is “enough” and how much of it there is. If someone views a lovely image online and comments with KPK, they are asking, “Who says this beauty is not plenty, or is this not plenty?” According to the original song, OPP (O Po Pa) and OPG (O Po Gan) are the accepted answers to this question.

Thank you for reading.

ENTERTAINMENT
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
New to Communities?

New to Communities?

Ask a Question