Mon - Fri: 9:00 - 17:00

Mon - Fri: 9:00 - 17:00

We are open to visit

Student Village Academy Forums ENTERTAINMENT Discover: Chloe x Halle, The Ethereal Vocalists Signed To Beyoncé

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Discover is a continuous series on up-and-coming musicians you need to know. Not everyday Afrobeat, sometimes, well… other stuff.

If you haven’t heard of Chloe x Halle, don’t worry, that’s why I’m here. After posting numerous covers on YouTube of hit singles from Beyoncé to Lorde, Chloe x Halle, now 18 and 17 respectively, posted their cover of Beyonce’s 2013 hit, “Pretty Hurts”, on YouTube and the rest is history!
      Ok that’s a lie. Well, what apparently happened was that said cover got the most traction (of all their covers) and Beyoncé got wind of it. Some time later, the sisters received an email from Beyoncé’s label, Parkwood Entertainment, and just two days later they found out Queen Bey was eager to sign them!. Now… the rest is history.

If you’re wondering what made Beyoncé sign two teenage YouTube cover stars, then let me introduce you to their 2nd single, “Fall” , off their debut EP, Sugar Symphony. Because if this song doesn’t move you to the brink of beautiful tears, then you just might be a robot.

The ladies’ vocals are both similar yet wildly different, but together, they merge beautifully like maple syrup on warm pancakes. Yes, that good. Chloe’s voice packs a soulful punch and Halle’s tone is almost ethereal with jazzy inflections. Together their harmonies could give every 90s and 00s R&B group a run for their money.

Now, in March 2017, these talented vocalists released a non-album, non-mixtape,
      The Two Of Us, which honestly deserves to be called a grammy-nominated album soon. IT IS THAT GOOD.
      On first listen, I feel Beyoncé’s influence as a mentor, as songs like “Used To Love” and “Too Much Sauce” feel like they would fit well on both Beyoncé and
      Lemonade, but this never takes away from the creativity and individuality of Chloe & Halle.

They may be signed to Beyoncé but she is beyond wise enough to give them creative freedom and not turn them into mini Beyoncé clones.
      Overall, The Two Of Us is such a unique body of work.

Chloe x Halle’s smooth vocals blend well with sick 808s and the project is laced with elements of R&B, soul, funk and indie pop that show of their range. No other 17 & 18-year-old could speak to creating such high quality work.

Anyway, I think I’ve done enough selling of their market, listen to their mixtape above and keep up with these fast-rising stars on Twitter and Instagram .
      Checkout their first single DROP

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.