Q:

ICPC grills agric ministry officials over massive fraud

Reportage from Punch Newspaper:

Around nine in the morning on Thursday, a sting operation carried out by operatives of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) led to the arrest of approximately five high-ranking officials within the Department of Farm Inputs Supports Services, which falls under the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development. The alleged offense pertains to the misappropriation of funds.

The apprehension took place within the confines of their office situated on the 5th Floor of the Bank of Agriculture Building, situated within the Central Business District in Garki, Abuja. The operation, lasting roughly an hour, was executed in a bid to bring those involved to justice.

ICPC logo

Sources revealed that four of the detained officials were held for a period of five days before being subsequently released. One of the apprehended individuals, a director, was reportedly released due to health concerns.

The incident has triggered a sense of unease among the employees of the Department of Farm Inputs Supports Services and other affiliated bodies within the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.

Insider information suggests that the investigation is linked to the alleged misdirection of funds initially designated for monitoring activities and awareness campaigns. This diversion has reportedly hindered the effective monitoring and assessment of agricultural input distribution.

The probe by ICPC detectives uncovered a substantial sum of over N200 million within the bank account of one of the subjects under scrutiny, while another official’s offspring was found to possess over N100 million in their account. Additionally, a substantial amount of N250 million in cash was discovered within the residence of one of the suspects.

Further investigations unveiled a total inflow of over N60 million into the bank account of an individual over the course of six months. The ICPC has also taken possession of various real estate assets, including a bakery and an herbal hospital.

ICPC’s spokesperson, Azuka Ogugua, when approached for comment, declined to provide updates on the ongoing investigation. Emphasizing the organization’s policy against media trials, she stated that the outcome of the inquiry would only become public knowledge once it reaches the courtroom.

Ogugua expressed, “We don’t give updates on our cases to journalists. We don’t do media trials, that was why I didn’t respond (to your several enquiries. How do you now expect me to start disclosing to you? It doesn’t make sense. I can’t tell you; that is wrong, it’s unethical. How can I be telling you the outcome of our investigation? When the case goes to court, it will be in the public domain. There is nothing I can discuss, it will be tantamount to media trial.”

VILLAGE POLITICS AND CURRENT AFFAIRS
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
New to Communities?

New to Communities?

Ask a Question