Q:

Isese: I have a tape proving Kwara CP hates Tani Olohun, Sowore alleges

The publisher of Saharareporters and a prominent human rights activist, Omoyele Sowore, revealed that he possesses an audio recording wherein the Commissioner of Police for Kwara State, Ebunoluwa Adelesi, made derogatory remarks concerning the Isese activist, Adegbola Abdulazeez, also known as Tani Olorun.

Sowore, Adelesi

During an interview with PUNCH Online on Tuesday, the former presidential candidate of the African Action Congress stated, “I now possess a cell phone conversation in which the Kwara State police commissioner expressed her strong aversion towards Tani Olorun.”

Adegbola is currently facing legal proceedings on allegations of defaming traditional and religious authorities in Kwara State.

“I am a steadfast advocate of the principles of freedom of expression, freedom of thought, and freedom of worship,” Sowore emphasized.

Regarding the situation of Tani Olorun, Sowore commented, “I have closely followed the events surrounding Tani Olorun and have concluded that he was unlawfully apprehended and transported across state borders to face an unjust legal process.”

Sowore asserted that the Commissioner of Police had aligned herself with those who sought to suppress Tani Olorun’s right to self-expression and further claimed, “There are concerted efforts to hinder the Isese worshippers’ activities within Kwara State.”

“I firmly believe that the actions taken against him are unjust, and those who accuse him lack the authority to charge him with the alleged offenses,” Sowore added.

Sowore also accused Adelesi of harboring a personal vendetta against Tani Olorun.

“He (Tani Olorun) should not have been apprehended and subjected to legal proceedings in a magistrate court, which inexplicably adjourned the case for an extended period despite the bailable nature of the alleged offense, assuming any offense was committed at all, which is doubtful,” Sowore argued.

Sowore highlighted that Tani Olorun’s expression on social media platforms would have been governed by community guidelines, and if any violations had occurred, platforms like Facebook would have taken appropriate actions.

“The Muslim clerics exploited their association with the Kwara State Commissioner of Police, who had revealed her animosity towards Tani Olorun in the recorded phone conversation that I currently possess,” Sowore stated.

Detailing the events, Sowore continued, “They collaborated to apprehend him, taking him across state lines with a purported arrest warrant from an Upper Area Court.”

Sowore contested the jurisdiction of the Upper Area Court to operate across state lines and expressed his doubts about the possibility of Tani Olorun receiving a fair trial in such circumstances.

“They could have pursued legal action in Oyo State, engaging a higher court if necessary, given that defamation is a civil offense,” Sowore suggested.

He also referenced historical context, stating, “The term they employ, ‘defamation of character,’ mirrors the strategies used by colonial powers to suppress individuals. However, this law was invalidated by the Court of Appeal in 1983, a fact reaffirmed by Justice Babatunde Belgore.”

In conclusion, Sowore asserted, “The authorities are misusing their power to oppress individuals practicing their religion, and this is why I stand in solidarity with Tani Olorun and all those facing oppression in our nation.”

GENERAL DISCUSSIONS
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
New to Communities?

New to Communities?

Ask a Question