Mon - Fri: 9:00 - 17:00

Mon - Fri: 9:00 - 17:00

We are open to visit

Q:

MTN Refunds Internet Data of Prominent Customer with NCC Connections

MTN Refunds Internet Data of Prominent Customer with NCC Connections

Salako Ajulo, an MTN Nigeria customer, described how MTN Nigeria refunded her internet data.

She stated on her Facebook page that after a complaint she made on her page on August 12 about the disparity between her internet data consumption rate and depletion, a top official at the Nigerian Communications Commission, who was a Facebook follower, facilitated the NCC to look into her complaint.

NCC’s involvement, she claims, prompted MTN to “get in touch” with her. Following her conversation with an MTN customer service representative, the telecommunications company apologized and “immediately refunded two of my three data activations (24gb).”

“I only wish the system would respond as promptly to every consumer, not because it is Sola Salako Ajulo, the consumer advocate,” she said, expressing her hopes for a system that responds to all customers regardless of who they are.

“Recall that about a week ago, I complained about data consumption on my MTN line,” she wrote.

“Within a few days, the NCC had obtained and sent me my call records.” I disputed the claim that apps on my phone consumed data because, according to the records, previous activation of the same 12gb lasted 3-4 weeks, but I activated 12gb three times in three days! Without seeing a video?

“Due to NCC involvement, MTN contacted me directly, apologized, and immediately refunded two of my three activations (24gb).”

“They showed me how to reset my data consumption, and we’re both watching to see if it was truly my apps that were to blame.” On Wednesday, I reset my cellular data to zero bytes.

“By Thursday, I had used 701MB” ( less than 1gb). I’m 5 days post-reset, and I’ve only used 6GB! This is because my home broadband isn’t working; otherwise, I wouldn’t have used up all 3GB! (FibreOne, this is your subscriber.)

“I am grateful to my Facebook friend who took this on.” I only wish the system would respond to every consumer as quickly as it does to Sola Salako Ajulo, the consumer advocate. We’ll get there…”

The refund was prompted by a Facebook post on August 12 in which she complained that her internet data was depleting at a rate that did not correspond to her consumption level.

“Dear Mr. MTN, I purchased 12GB of data three times in two weeks. On my phone, I don’t watch movies. Is there a data hogging demon on your network?”

Ajulo is a well-known consumer rights advocate and the founder of the Consumer Advocacy Foundation Of Nigeria (CAFON), a non-profit organization dedicated to the protection of consumer rights in Nigeria.

VILLAGE POLITICS AND CURRENT AFFAIRS
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
New to Communities?

New to Communities?

Ask a Question