Q:

Nigerians Share Experiences With Tunji-Ojo’s Online Passport Application Process

Nigerians Share Experiences With Tunji-Ojo’s Online Passport Application Process

When Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, the Minister of Interior, took to Twitter to announce, “Nigerians can now apply for the international passport from the comfort of their homes,” anticipation surged among citizens like Ire Dura (pseudonym), who hoped for an end to the mandatory visits to passport offices nationwide for capturing and biometrics.

Expressing initial optimism, Dura remarked to FIJ, “I thought I would only have to go to any of their offices when it was time to collect my passport. But of what use is this so-called automated application process if I still have to go to their office for capturing and biometrics? I can as well just do everything manually.”

Another applicant, preferring anonymity, shared with FIJ, “I tried to use the new website. You follow the instructions and submit a couple of credentials, but they still require us to visit the immigration office to submit our biometric information. We may have to wait until March or April before the whole process is fully automated.”

Flyers containing five enrollment steps were shared on the interior minister’s page: (1) Proceed to the website to enter your National Identification Number (NIN) for data auto-fill from the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC). (2) Complete other data fields as required. (3) Upload a photograph and other supporting documents. (4) Walk into an immigration office for your biometric capture. (5) Your passport is ready for collection within two weeks.

In an interview with Channels TV on Monday, the minister stated, “Starting March 8, Nigerians will no longer have to come to our offices for their biometrics. They can do it from the comfort of their homes and have their passports delivered to them.”

While many Nigerians lauded the seemingly positive development, concerns were raised by individuals like Duru, who worry that past challenges will persist until the process becomes fully digital.

Adetayo Adegbemile shared on Wednesday how his wife was asked for additional payment after applying for a passport renewal through the automated process.

Adegbemle’s post reads: “Dear Honorable Minister, It is my hope that you get to see this. Feedback on the online Passport Issuance/Renewal. It is for my wife. We filled all the necessary forms, made necessary payment, all online, booked an appointment today, Wednesday 10th January. My wife went for the appointment, only for her to be asked for extra payment of N7,500, and another N15k if she wants her Passport immediately. This is feedback on the online Passport process. I will proceed to write a mail to the email (still looking for it) provided for fees.”

“Walking into the Passport Office for capturing is when I knew there is nothing good or innovative about the whole idea. Let’s just pretend that it’s progress,” wrote @chymaker on X.

Adetutu Balogun questioned, “Walk into an immigration office for your biometric capture is comfort of my home?”

“The only difference here is being able to upload photos and documents. There is nothing new as that, in my view. Application has been online for years now,” commented @Momopee2.

VILLAGE POLITICS AND CURRENT AFFAIRS
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
New to Communities?

New to Communities?

Ask a Question