Mon - Fri: 9:00 - 17:00

Mon - Fri: 9:00 - 17:00

We are open to visit

Student Village Academy Forums ENTERTAINMENT Talent Is Enough For Nigerian Celebrities

• Creator
    Topic
    justseyi
    Keymaster
    Up
    ::

Talent Is Enough For Nigerian Celebrities

Everyone has talent
    Talent Is Enough For Nigerian Celebrities; Lately in the news, Nigerian A-list artist, Kizz Daniel came under serious fire from fans in Nigeria and the diaspora over his professionalism, in comparison to other musicians.

While I surfed opinions about Kizz Daniel, I came across one tweet that stuck with me and also influenced the title of this editorial; ”Talent Is Never Enough”. But it appears to be more than enough for Nigerian celebrities and their attitudes towards their Nigerian fan base.

It Didn’t Start Today
    Last year in December, I saw a rather disturbing pattern of Nigerian artists coming late to their shows and paying fans to wait 2 – 3 hours before their ”Fav” artist made his / her way to the show. NewsNowNaija has a rather extensive piece of events where Nigerian artists leave both fans and show organisers very upset due to their lateness.

While reading the NewNowNaija blog post about Nigerian musicians who came late for their own show, one of the artists stands out. Buju; according to the post, he was so late that organizers asked for a refund which he refused and they ended up deflating his tyres, reminds me of one mischief I committed back in secondary school.

Don’t Sleep, Don’t Sleep, Wake Up
    ”Collect your money” Well in the video interview with Freeze, the Tanzanian show promoter asked for a refund but we got a 10-minute apology from Kizz Daniel. When I came across the video of his invitation to the Police station by Tanzanian authorities, I kept wondering if all these could be avoided, at first, before joining other tweeps to bash the ”Buga” singer, I did a little homework on my own to be sure this isn’t an isolated incident, and like his colleagues in the ”late coming” music industry, he was booed off stage for keeping fans waiting for over 4 hours barely a month ago.

Hold On Kizz Daniel Has A Joke To Show You
    After his recent run-in with the law, and his fans both home and abroad, Kizz Daniel comes out to tender a ”Heartfelt” apology, but guess what? In the apology video, he is apologizing to media representatives for coming late! Lmao! How do you set up a press conference to apologise for late coming and then end up coming late to that press conference? At least he promises them a free show this Friday, if that will be any consolation, I hope he doesn’t come late for that one too.

Why Do Nigerian Celebrities Do This To Us, Nigerians?
    In the mid-2000s, you were considered local by your friends if you didn’t know the lyrics to Sean Kingston’Beautiful Girl’. I personally always had a thing for D’banj, MI, 2Baba, Style Plus and many more Nigerian acts, but then you were perceived cooler if your Nokia Express music or your Chinese iPod had more international artists than Nigerian ones. It took years of hard work by many industry talents before Nigerians could boldly support their own, but lately, we’ve been getting the bad end of the stick ever since from the people we have/are growing to love.

Nigerians have repeatedly complained to artists to put extra effort into their live performances but we’ve consistently been aired like air fryers, thumbs up to artists like Burna boy, and Simi who give exceptional live performances but they are only a minority in the pool of ”talented” Nigerian artists.

What shocks me the most is when these celebrities are called out by their own people, they resort to broke shaming and ”hater” tagging the fan, but when a white fan does it, they are quick to drop apologies like Rashford.

Nigerians Are Very Forgiving But Can keep A Grudge Too
    I remember when Naira Maley graced us with his “street” swag, it was very different from what we were used to from Olamide, and Dagrin, he came as a defiant and didn’t give a damn about us and the authorities. He made regular headlines and very few were about his songs. But his fan based remained strong and committed to his lifestyle for a while.

Portable Showing Off His Boxers
    I can remember coming across tweets from fans complaining about NM recent run in with the law and a mob of fans will come for you, many claimed they loved him because “he wasn’t pretending” others said “he is the true definition of street” . But the story has become different lately, whenever NM makes the news for another “Street like” error I’m starting to see more comments like “Is he the only one?“, “EFCC should do their job” . Portable came with his own, but his fan base didn’t take so long before they turned again him, could it be because he showed his ass to Awolowo during the APC campaign in Osun state?

What Can We Do?
    Nothing! While you might relate with my views of artists and how they treat us as fans, there’s really nothing we can do besides writing editorials like this and mobbing them on Social media, because at the end, you can’t boycott a song like “Buga” because Kizz Daniel behaves like a toddler, or stop listening to “Last Last” because Burna Boy has a pending case with the Nigerian Police over a shooting at the club. Not going to lie, I can’t! I love these songs.

In the end, we can only hope they respect us more because Spotify and YouTube Premium doesn’t come cheap.

Thank you for reading my editorial, Talent Is Enough For Nigerian Celebrities. Please share with your friends.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.