- This topic is empty.
September 9, 2023 at 6:07 PM #56269Student VillageKeymaster
LASU advertisement for the post of University Librarian
The Governing Council of Lagos State University announces a forthcoming vacancy for the position of University Librarian, effective from November 30, 2023. In accordance with the Lagos State University Law, Cap L69, Volume 7, Laws of Lagos State, 2004 [as amended], the Governing Council has initiated the process of appointing a new University Librarian for the institution. Applications are now invited from qualified candidates to fill this crucial position at Lagos State University.
**ABOUT THE INSTITUTION:**
Lagos State University (LASU) was founded in 1983 under the Enabling Law of Lagos State, Nigeria. Its primary objectives include advancing learning, establishing academic excellence, and meeting the specific manpower needs of Lagos State. LASU offers a wide range of academic programs at the Diploma, Undergraduate, and Postgraduate levels, both on a full-time and part-time basis. The institution is recognized for its academic achievements, and in 2023, it was ranked as the third most admired university in Nigeria by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB).
LASU operates a multi-campus system, with its main campus located at Ojo (along the Badagry Expressway), and two other campuses at Epe and Ikeja. The university comprises several faculties, schools, and centers, including the College of Medicine, which houses six faculties and a Postgraduate School. Recently, the National Universities Commission (NUC) approved twenty new academic programs to complement the existing seventy-one undergraduate programs across various colleges, faculties, schools, and centers.
In addition to its academic offerings, LASU operates several specialized programs and centers, including the School of Basic and Advanced Studies (LASUSBAS) in Badagry, a Pre-Degree Studies Programme in Epe, the School of Part-Time Studies on Ojo and Epe Campuses, the Open and Distance Learning and Research Institute (ODLRI), the School of Tourism, Film, Performing Arts, and Cultural Studies, and the Centre for Yoruba Studies. The university also houses notable centers of excellence, such as the Africa Centre of Excellence for Innovation and Transformative STEM Education (LASU ACEITSE), the Centre of Excellence for Sargassum Research, Manufacturing Assistance Centre (MAC), and ICT/Digital Archive Centre.
LASU has consistently maintained high academic standards and is currently ranked among Nigeria’s foremost universities. The institution is committed to providing quality education, fostering intellectual, moral, civic, and creative development in its students, and contributing to national and global socio-economic development.
According to the Lagos State University Law, 2004 [as amended], the University Librarian is a Principal Officer who reports to the Vice-Chancellor. The University Librarian is responsible for the administration of the University Library and the coordination of all library services across the university’s campuses, including the main library (Fatiu Ademola AKESODE Library). This role involves serving as a member of various university committees, including the University Management Committee, Congregation, Senate, and others as specified in the university’s regulations.
The University Librarian is expected to provide both academic and administrative leadership within the University Library. The ideal candidate should possess vision, strategic thinking, proven academic distinction, leadership, managerial skills, integrity, competence in job planning and organization, and transparency in public life. Additionally, the candidate should be capable of developing external partnerships to support the evolving needs of the University Libraries, command respect, foster cooperation, exhibit strong team-building abilities, and earn the loyalty of staff and students.
**QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:**
Candidates applying for the position of University Librarian at Lagos State University must meet the following mandatory requirements:
– Hold a Ph.D. in Library Science or a related field, with a minimum of fifteen (15) years of University or related working experience.
– Have authored at least 20-25 scholarly publications and demonstrate a significant contribution to knowledge through research.
– Possess a minimum of five (5) years’ experience at the level of Deputy University Librarian/Associate Professor Librarian in a University.
– Proficiency in information and communication technology (ICT) and its application in library services.
– A track record of attending conferences (both nationally and internationally), with at least five (5) in the last five years.
– Membership in relevant professional associations.
– Maintain excellent physical and mental health.
– Demonstrate meaningful contributions to the Nigerian University system and society at large.
– Proven ability to establish external linkages and secure grants for the University.
– Command respect, foster cooperation, and exhibit strong team-building abilities, as well as win the loyalty of staff and students.
– Possess academic distinctions, leadership and managerial abilities, competence in job planning and organization, and a high level of integrity and transparency in public life.
The appointment of the University Librarian is in accordance with the Lagos State University Law, 2004 [as amended], and is for a term of four (4) years, with the possibility of reappointment for a second term of four (4) years only.
Candidates for the position of University Librarian must not exceed the age of sixty-five (65) by November 2023.
The remuneration package for the University Librarian includes a Basic Salary of CONUNASS 15, housing facilities, and other benefits and allowances that apply to the University Librarian position in Nigerian Public Universities, as may be approved by the Governing Council of Lagos State University. The university is committed to implementing initiatives that adequately support its workforce in line with global best practices.
**METHOD OF APPLICATION:**
Interested candidates should submit their formal applications for the position of University Librarian addressed to the Vice Chancellor. The application should be accompanied by twenty-five (25) copies of a detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) containing the following information:
– Full Name
– Place and Date of Birth
– Nationality (if Nigerian, indicate State of Origin)
– Marital Status, Number, and Ages of Children
– Academic Qualifications (including Class of Degree; copies of Certificates to be enclosed)
– Post-Graduation/Professional Qualifications (copies of Certificates to be enclosed)
– Current Employment
– Significant Achievements
– Publications in the last Five (5) years
– Conference Attendance in the last Five (5) years
– Contributions to Society or Humanity in the last Three (3) years
– Names and Addresses of Three (3) Referees who can attest to the candidate’s professional, managerial, moral, character, and integrity.
– Contact Address (including telephone numbers, professional social media handle(s), and e-mail address)
Candidates are also required to include a 500-word statement of vision for Library Services at Lagos State University. This statement should outline the candidate’s plans to position the University as a leading academic repository institution in West Africa and the world.
**SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION:**
All applications should be submitted under CONFIDENTIAL COVER with the envelope clearly marked “POST OF UNIVERSITY LIBRARIAN, LASU.” The sealed applications should be addressed to:
The Vice Chancellor,
Office of Vice Chancellor,
Babatunde Raji Fashola (BRF) Senate Building,
Lagos State University,
Ojo, Lagos, Nigeria.
The Registrar must receive all applications no later than October 20, 2023. This advertisement is also available on
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.