Harvard University offers a free online Python programming course; Harvard University is offering a free online course on Python programming. This course bridges the gap between introductory and advanced courses in Python.
Applicants will take their introductory knowledge of Python programming to the next level in this four-week course, learning how to use Python 3 for research.
Course At A Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 4-8 hours per week
Subject: Computer Science
Institution: Harvard University and edX
Certificate Available: Yes. Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. Harvard faculty are engaged with teaching and research to push the boundaries of human knowledge. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study.
About This Course
This course bridges the gap between Python introductory and advanced courses. While there are many excellent introductory Python courses available, most do not go deep enough to allow you to apply your Python knowledge to research projects. After reviewing the fundamentals of Python 3, we will learn about tools commonly used in research settings in this course. Harvard University offers a free online Python programming course
You will get to practice your new Python skills with various case studies chosen for their scientific breadth and coverage of different Python features using a combination of a guided introduction and more independent in-depth exploration.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. Participants will receive a certificate upon completion of the course.
- Python 3 programming basics (a review)
- Python tools (e.g., NumPy and SciPy modules) for research applications
- How to apply Python research tools in practical settings
Week 1: Python Basics
Week 2: Python Research Tools
Weeks 3 & 4: Case Studies
Jukka-Pekka “JP” Onnela
JP is an Assistant Professor of Biostatistics in the Department of Biostatistics at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
Some previous Python programming experience (in any version of Python)
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- edX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- After registering for a course and activating their account, applicants should go to the org home page and enter their email address and edX password. This will take them to their dashboard, where they will have access to all of their active courses. (Prior to the start of a course, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not have a “view course” option.)