IJMB Chemistry 102 Past Questions 2022; This is the chemistry 102 past questions for students who recently sat in the just concluded IJMB examination
INTERIM JOINT MATRICULATION BOARD EXAMINATION 2022.
SUBJECT: CHEMISTRY PAPER II: ORGANIC
DATE SCHEDULED: WEDNESDAY 22ND JUNE, 2022
TIME ALLOWED: TWO HOURS (2 HRS)
Instruction: Answer ALL questions in SECTION A, which carries a total of 50 marks. Answer any TWO (2) questions in SECTION B, each question carries 25 marks. The use of scientific non-programmable calculator is allowed. C = 12, H = 1, O = 16, N = 14, Cl = 35.5, S = 32, Na = 23
IJMB Chemistry 102 Past Questions 2022
SECTION A. Answer ALL questions in this Section.
1. The molecular formula, C6H14, has five (5) structural isomers, name them. (5 marks)
2. (a) Give the names of the first three members of the cycloalkane series. (3 marks)
(b) Name two (2) general types of reactions of cycloalkanes. (2 marks)
3. Classify the following compounds as primary, secondary or tertiary haloalkanes. (5 marks)
4. Classify the following compounds as primary, secondary or tertiary alkanols. (5 marks)
5. (a) What type of isomerism is likely to exist for a compound with molecular formula C3H6O.
(b) Give the name and structure of the isomers of C3H6O (5 marks)
6. Name and give the molecular formula of functional derivatives of alkanoic acids. (5 marks)
7. (a) What classes of organic homologues are commonly required to produce an alkanoate.
(b) Give the names of the organic reagents required for the formation of these alkanoates.
(ii) CH3COOCH2CH3 ( 5 marks)
8. Classify the following as primary, secondary or tertiary alkanamine (5 marks)
9. (a) Give the molecular polysaccharides
(b) Name two (2) naturally occurring disaccharides and two (2) polysaccharides. (5 marks)
10. (a) What is vulcanization?
(b) Name the monomer of natural rubber and state two (2) other monomers that have been employed for the production of synthetic rubber. (5 marks)
SECTION B: Attempt any TWO (2) questions in this section
11. (a) Using equation to illustrate what is meant by the terms
(v) Dehydration (10 marks)
(b) Give the name of the possible organic product(s) of the following transformation.(10 marks)
(i) Dehydration of 2-butanol
(ii) Hydration of ethyne
(iii) Hydrochlorination of propene
(iv) Hydroxylation of ethane
(v) Reduction of 2-chloropropane
(c) Draw displayed (structural) formulae for the following compounds;
(ii) Ethanoic butanoic anhydride
(iii) Ethyl 2-hydroxypropanoate
(iv) N-methyl, N-ethyl, 2-aminobutane
(v) Sodium 2-hydroxyethanoate (5 marks)
12. (a) Give the structure of the product of the oxidation of these compounds (6 marks)
(b) Give the structure of the product of the Clemmensen’s reduction of these compounds
(c) Calculate the molecular formula of an organic compound with 59.95% carbon, 13.42% hydrogen and 26.63% oxygen; and whose vapour density is 30. (5 marks)
(d) List five (5) primary uses of fats and oils. (5 marks)
(e) Draw the repeating unit of the polymer formed by the reaction between butanedioic acid and hexane-1,6-diamine. State the type of polymerization occurring in this reaction and give a name for the linkage between the monomer units in this polymer. (5 marks)