The Mandela Rhodes Foundation is now accepting applications from citizens of all African countries for its 2019/2020 postgraduate scholarship award to study at a South African tertiary institution. The deadline for submission of applications for the Mandela Rhodes Foundation Postgraduate Scholarship is 15th April, 2019.
The central purpose of The Mandela Rhodes Foundation is to build exceptional leadership capacity in Africa (whilst also seeking to foster better reconciliation and entrepreneurship) through its various programmes and, to this end, aims to be the leading protagonist in Africa for such endeavours.
We do this in the firm belief that, in the words of our Founder and Patron, Mr Nelson Mandela, “…the work of The Mandela Rhodes Foundation will substantively contribute to a better life for the people of South Africa and further abroad on the African continent…”
A Mandela Rhodes Scholarship enables a Scholar to study at a South African tertiary institution registered with the South African Council on Higher Education (and approved by the MRF) for an accredited postgraduate degree programme. The Scholarship is currently awarded for either a one year Honours or an up to two years Masters degree, or their academic equivalents.
Mandela Rhodes Foundation Scholarship Eligibility.
Who can apply for a Mandela Rhodes Scholarship?
- The Scholarship is open to citizens of all African countries and is for postgraduate study at South African universities or tertiary institutions.
- Full funding is for Honours (maximum one year) or Masters (up to a maximum of two years) or their equivalents (MBA’s excluded).
- Any individual who will be between the ages of 19 and 30 years at the time of taking up the Scholarship may apply.
- Applicants must possess a first degree or its equivalent or must be in the process of completing one by 31 January 2020.
- Applicants should have a history of well above average academic results and reflect in their character a commitment to the four principles of Education, Reconciliation, Leadership and Entrepreneurship.
- Applicants must be able to attend all compulsory elements of our leadership development programme. These activities can occur during the week or on weekends.
PLEASE NOTE: If you qualify for the Scholarship, The Mandela Rhodes Foundation does not apply to tertiary institutions on your behalf. Applicants must apply separately to their chosen tertiary institution for the degree they wish to undertake. The Scholarship award is conditional on the applicant being offered a place at the relevant institution.
Mandela Rhodes Foundation Scholarship Benefits.
The Mandela Rhodes Scholarships programme is a combination of financial support for postgraduate studies and a high quality leadership development programme, with the intention of building exceptional leadership capacity in Africa.
A. Financial scope of the scholarship
The Scholarship covers the cost of a Scholar as follows:
- Tuition and registration fees as set by the institution
- A study materials allowance as set by the MRF
- Accommodation and meal allowances as set by the MRF
- A medical aid allowance as set by the MRF
- Economy-class travel allowance for international Scholars only from the Scholar’s home to their institution at the beginning and end of their degree
- Personal allowance
B. Leadership development programme
The MRF leadership development programme is made up of the following three components.
- Three residential workshops;
- Three regional group pods;
How to Apply for Mandela Rhodes Foundation Postgraduate Scholarship.
All applicants apply online via the Embark application system on the MRF website.
- Round 1: Applications reviewed by South African tertiary institutions and the MRF (Alumni reviewers). By end June 2019, all applicants to be informed by universities and/or the MRF whether or not their application is through to the next stage.
- Round 2: Reviews by designated MRF staff. By the end of July 2019, remaining applicants to be informed by the MRF whether or not their application is through to the next stage.
- Round 3: Reviews by designated MRF staff. By end of August 2019, remaining applicants to be informed by the MRF whether or not their application is through to the next stage.
Final round: Panel interviews with Selection Committees in October. By end of October 2019, panel interviewed applicants to be informed by the MRF whether or not they have been selected as Mandela Rhodes Scholars.
Please be advised that as part of your application, three letters of recommendation are required. Your application will be considered incomplete without them. Start your application as soon as possible to give your Recommenders time to submit.
Apply Before: 15 April 2019.