Mon - Fri: 9:00 - 17:00

Mon - Fri: 9:00 - 17:00

We are open to visit

Student Village Academy Forums HISTORY 1600 Medevial Monks Stuck To Beer During Lent

Tagged: ,

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
    justseyi
    Keymaster
    Up
    ::

During the 17th century, strict directives were issued to medieval monks in Bavaria, prohibiting the consumption of solid food throughout the Lenten period.

Opting for an alternative to a water-only regimen, the monks innovatively crafted a highly potent beer abundant in carbohydrates and nutrients. They christened this concoction “sankt-vater-bier,” translating to “Holy Father beer.”

Fast forward to 2011, when journalist J. Wilson embarked on a quest to replicate this historic beer. Committing to a unique Lenten fast, he exclusively consumed this specially brewed beer for 46 days, abstaining from solid food. His daily routine involved drinking four glasses on weekdays and five glasses on weekends.

Initially grappling with hunger during the experiment’s early days, Wilson observed a remarkable adjustment in his body. He recounted, “My body… switched gears, replaced hunger with focus, and I found myself operating in a tunnel of clarity unlike anything I’d ever experienced.”

By the experiment’s conclusion, Wilson had shed 25 pounds.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.