Mon - Fri: 9:00 - 17:00

Mon - Fri: 9:00 - 17:00

We are open to visit

Student Village Academy Forums INSTITUTIONS AND COURSES University And Poly ASUU Strike: A final-year medical student turns into a food vendor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Student Village
      Keymaster

ASUU Strike: A final-year medical student turns into a food vendor

Due to the months-long ASUU strike, Usman Abubakar-Rimi, a final-year medical student at Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto, has become a street food vendor.

Due to the months-long ASUU strike, Usman Abubakar-Rimi, a final-year medical student at Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto, has become a street food vendor.

Mr Abubakar-Rimi said in an interview on Friday in Sokoto that he decided to become a food vendor to earn a living because the strike had forced many students to drop out.

“I hired a shop, employing eight people manning tea and Indomie joints, selling bottled and canned drinks, masa, rice and beans, pepper soup and meat along with the point-of-sale (POS) business,” said the medical student. “A plate of food sells from N200 and above depending on the needs of the customer.”

Usman Abubakar-Rimi,

He explained that he also owns a shop on Fodio road in Sokoto, where he sells men’s and women’s clothing, caps, student bags, and shoes.

“I am always pleased to see that I have become a labor employer; at the moment, I employ 10 people in the two shops.” “Despite the fact that schools were closed, I relied on the shops for handsome earnings because I don’t ask my parents for money,” the student added.

Mr. Abubakar-Rimi stated that he did not use a loan or a youth empowerment program to start his business.

“However, I utilized the opportunity of COVID-19 lockdown during the pandemic and started an egg and chicken distribution business where I had made contacts with restaurants for the supply,” he disclosed.” “I also obtained the eggs and chickens from large scale farms from small amounts to higher quantity suppliers, from the proceeds I started the two businesses.”

Mr. Abubakar-Rimi further mentioned that the businesses had prospects and encouraged youths to consider ways to utilize their time and venture into viable initiatives, revealing that he would continue the business even when the strike is called off.

“I designed a sustainability plan where registers were opened for maximum record keeping, supply chain and other management procedures,” explained Mr Abubakar-Rimi.

He added, “With the lucrative opportunities provided by the businesses, I envisage continuing with the ventures even after my graduation. When I become a medical doctor, I envisage engaging in work that will not be too time-consuming because, at present, I have begun to lose hope in a salary-earning job.”

Mr Abubakar-Rimi dreams of establishing a pharmacy, working in a private hospital, and engaging in “private-initiated businesses relevant to my profession.”

The undergraduate student at Usman Danfodio University advised students to use their free time to engage in business, emphasizing that the current online services provided many opportunities to leverage.

Mr Abubakar-Rimi called on President Muhammadu Buhari to find a lasting solution to impending strikes in youths’ interest and the country’s progress.

He also appealed to ASUU to consider the students’ plights and resolve the issue as soon as possible.

(NAN)

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.