Mon - Fri: 9:00 - 17:00

Mon - Fri: 9:00 - 17:00

We are open to visit

Student Village Academy Forums VILLAGE POLITICS AND CURRENT AFFAIRS Corporal punishment in schools responsible for kidnapping in Zamfara

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      justseyi
      Keymaster

“This is in compliance with the federal ministry of education’s directives in collaboration with UNICEF,” said Mr Maradun, represented at the meeting by a SUBEB official, Abubakar Abdullahi. “Corporal punishment in schools is contributing immensely to criminal activities such as stealing, drug abuse, political thuggery, armed robbery, kidnapping, and prostitution, among others.”

He added, “These are determinant factors to security challenges bedevilling the country.”

Representatives of the police and the NSCDC, SP Muhammad Umar and DSC Ibrahim Adamu, advised teachers to avoid any act of corporal punishment that would tarnish the image of pupils in schools.

The School-Based Management Committees (SBMC)’s chairman in Zamfara, Abubakar Dogo, said punishment must be applied to any student who violated school rules or misbehaved within or outside the school premises.

Mr Dogo added that the punishment should not be corporal as there were several ways to discipline students.

The UNICEF representative, Ahmed Hashim, said the programme was to train teachers and other major stakeholders on abolishing corporal punishment in their respective schools.

(NAN)

I’m a bit confused by the above publication, how does security incompetence be blamed on corporal punishment ?

Or am I getting the SUBEB chairman’s statement wrong? Someone should help me.

Esther Amadi

It’s confusing me too oh! How can you blame bad governance on corporal punishment.

Corporal punishment is bad, but can’t be the reason for Banditry and other terrible vices

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.