Mon - Fri: 9:00 - 17:00

Mon - Fri: 9:00 - 17:00

We are open to visit

Student Village Academy Forums VILLAGE POLITICS AND CURRENT AFFAIRS Former Minister Takes Shots At Pres. Tinubu

Tagged: ,

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
    justseyi
    Keymaster
    Up
    ::

Rotimi Amaechi, the former minister of transport during the Muhammadu Buhari-led administration, has criticized Nigerians for their apparent passivity and tolerance of politicians’ wrongdoing. He suggested that Nigerians seem resigned to their fate, choosing to suffer quietly rather than confronting politicians involved in corruption and certificate forgery.

Mr. Amaechi made these remarks as a guest speaker at the 2023 TheNiche Annual Lecture held in Lagos on Friday. He questioned the point of speaking out when, in his view, there is nothing new to say about the situation in Nigeria.

Rotimi Amaechi and Bola Tinubu

He said, “What is new to say? Nigerians don’t react to anything. Has any politician told you he is not a thief? Tell me one politician who says he is not a thief. Tell me one. Which politician told you he went to the university? Which politician told you he served in NYSC? Which politician told you he has a certificate? Nigerians know and still vote for them. So what’s your problem? So, I say why should I speak when there is nothing new?”

Mr. Amaechi went on to express frustration with Nigerians for not taking action against corrupt politicians and instead resorting to desperate measures. He even remarked that he wished for the demise of those who tolerate such behavior.

“Instead of Nigerians facing their problems, they are committing suicide. I’m praying for you so that you will continue to commit suicide so that one day I’ll wake up and all of you have died. I can now enjoy the benefits of your death by speaking those things,” he said.

He added that Nigerians often choose to believe and vote for politicians without demanding transparency or accountability. He pointed out the lack of public resistance seen in other countries like Ghana and Kenya and accused Nigerians of accepting poor governance with resignation.

Contrary to Mr. Amaechi’s claims of Nigerian passivity, it is important to note that Nigerians have a history of standing up against oppressive regimes, as seen in their efforts to restore democracy during military rule. Additionally, recent events, such as the #EndSARS protests in 2020, demonstrated widespread public outcry against police brutality and corruption.

Despite these events, Mr. Amaechi’s cryptic remarks underscore his frustration with the state of Nigerian politics and governance. This comes amid controversies, such as the certificate forgery scandal involving President Bola Tinubu, which were further complicated by a recent Supreme Court ruling upholding his electoral victory.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.