Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    justseyi
    Keymaster
    Up
    ::

Source – Twitter

Too many young people are getting stuck 2-5yrs after graduation cos they started in jobs they don’t like or that they consider lower than their potential. As someone who changed careers thrice before settling in, I can relate. If this is you, please read this Plan A-C.

Plan A – Your current job. Pays your bills (except you have legacy money or other sources). Work hard and be the very best at it. Seek ways to cross from your role that you don’t like to a function that you like within the company. Learn the skills online or through mentorship and volunteer to support those in those roles. And the only way to get considered for a switch is to first ensure you are a star at your role and the company sees your value. Don’t be a pollutant or share bad energy because you don’t like the job. No one remembers your likeness or otherwise for the job, but everyone remembers the energy you brought to them.

Plan B – Stay awake at night or dedicate at least 2hrs a day reading, learning & applying for roles that match what you really want or desire. Don’t be complacent or get comfortable. Comfort is easy once you start earning. Be hungry and shameless in your hunger. Send that DM. Send that mail. And you may even get options for experienced hire roles in this career that you don’t like. Never be afraid to start again in another company. You have to decide very quickly before it gets too late to start again. Else, you’ll still be on the job 10yrs later, unhappy and complaining as you did in year 1. It’s pointless spending your entire day working for a job you don’t enjoy. Pay cuts are easier to absorb when you’re less than 30yrs old. The younger the better. I restarted my career 3times by age 26 yet made Manager at 29 & SM at 32. Cos all the experiences built up and counted.

Plan C: This is your fallback plan. If everything else fails, what will happen? This is your plan C. Save as if your life depends on it. You can start a side hustle (preferably in the line you desire) & grow it into a business. Many great founders & companies were built as side hustles. I started my first company as a side hustle even from NYSC year. Nike was founded as a side hustle and countless other examples. You can go back to school (preferably abroad). Activate your japa plans. Or 300 million things. But those decisions become easier as you save more. This is why its easier for those from rich homes to make these decisions. Cos their needs are covered. So don’t compare yourself. Plan as if your life depends on it, because it really does

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.